Tuesday, August 4, 2009

yummy blueberry crumb bars

It's Michigan blueberry season, so last weekend we picked up 2 pints at the little farmer stand downtown. I am not a huge raw blueberry fan, but like to cook with them so I searched for something I could make (other than the usual muffins) that my husband could take to his day long meetings in a hotel conference room this week.

I found this blueberry crumb bar recipe on allrecipes, then edited it to my own baking preferences :) so here is my version, italics where I changed ingredients.

Blueberry crumb bars

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup shortening (I used butter flavored Crisco)
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract

4 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup white sugar
3 teaspoons cornstarch
grated lemon peel

DIRECTIONS (changed with my ingredients)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
In a medium bowl, stir together sugars, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and cinnamon. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the shortening, vanilla, and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
In another bowl, stir together the sugar and cornstarch. Gently mix in the blueberries and sprinkle in some lemon peel (I used probably about 1 tsp). Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment