Saturday, February 21, 2009

recent recipe experiments and an old favorite

I made this the other night, Aloha Chicken. Next time I will probably get boneless chicken as I hate dealing with bones when I eat. I also threw the whole can of pineapple in and used fresh ginger (in a jar) rather than ground. Had good flavor without being overpowering, Dad and Chris liked it too. We had it with rice, peas/carrots and an Asian dressing salad.

When Chris was working late one night and Dad was at Knights of Columbus I had this Easy Quiche. It was really good (and really easy) but just make sure you use the correct pan. I had an opportunity with a river of quiche in my kitchen because I was dumb and used a pan with a bottom that comes out. Liquid finds the path of least resistance ;) I used a mozzarella blend instead of cheddar and it was still good :)

This cheddar beer bread was disgusting, never ever make it. Way too heavy on the seasonings to make it as written, I didn't have time to read the reviews.

The old favorite is the chicken enchiladas we've made for years. I think it is originally from a cookbook called the Colorado Cache cookbook. It's what's for dinner tonight with some of the chichis corn cake stuff you add a can of corn, butter, & water to and bake :)

CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

2 large chicken breasts, poached
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1 – 16 oz can diced tomatoes
1 – 8 oz can tomato sauce
¼ cup chopped, mild green chilies
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon basil
12 corn tortillas
2 cups Monterrey jack

Cut chicken in strips and salt to taste; set aside. In a saucepan sauté onion and garlic in butter until soft. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilies, sugar, cumin, oregano and basil. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for approximately 20 minutes. Remove from heat; dip each tortilla in tomato mixture to soften. Place a piece of chicken and two tablespoons of cheese on each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in an ungreased 9x13 pan. Blend sour cream into remaining sauce mixture and pour over enchiladas. Sprinkle top with remaining cheese. Bake covered at 350 F for 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment