Friday, February 27, 2009

Banana Split Freeze

This is one of my husband's family recipes, they compiled recipes from his Dad's family back in the early 90s and made a spiral cookbook just for the family. I got his Grandma's copy after she passed. This was apparently his favorite dessert ever and he's been begging me to make it forever so I finally did. It's pretty good! Frozen bananas are an acquired taste but once you get over that its really good. Could see changing up the flavors of ice cream and chips and fruit and making different tasty things. I made it with reduced fat evaporated milk and reduced fat ice cream and it tasted fine.

Banana Split Freeze

1 cup crushed graham cracker crumbs
2-3 bananas sliced
1/2 gallon of ice cream, softened (I used vanilla, recipe called for marbled fudge)

13oz can evaporated milk
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
2 cups powdered (confectioners) sugar
1 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla

whipped cream and nuts optional

Spray or butter a 9x13 pan. Spread crushed graham crackers over the bottom, line with banana slices then spread ice cream over top. Freeze. Combine the evaporated milk, butter, powdered sugar, and chocolate chips in a saucepan over medium heat until melted. Bring to a boil then remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour over top of the ice cream (it will all melt it and combine, I guess this is normal). (The original recipe called for covering it in whipped cream and nuts, I didn't.) Cover and stick it back in the freezer. Best made the night before so it can be totally frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment