Tuesday, February 1, 2011

quick & easy stroganoff

I made a basic beef stroganoff for dinner tonight. It wasn't as yummy as the kind Mom used to make (sadly I don't have that recipe) but it fit the bill of beef and hearty. I used the base of this recipe from all recipes, Simple Hamburger Stroganoff, and tweaked it to what I had on hand. Overall impression is "meh", needs more flavor, even more than what I added to it. I had to add more garlic pepper and was tempted to add salt too while I was eating it (though I crave salt lately so its probably fine). Won't go out of my way to make it again but for a quick hearty dinner it was good. And I have leftovers for a few more meals since my hubby and Dad are both out of town this week.

Simple Beef Stroganoff
6 servings

Ingredients
1 (16 ounce) package egg noodles
1 pound lean ground beef (I used 96/4 and it turned out well)
1 (.75 ounce) packet dry brown gravy mix
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
2 ounces water
1/2 cup milk
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
minced onion & garlic pepper
Directions
1.Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2.In a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef until no pink shows; drain.
3.Mix brown gravy, cream cheese and mushrooms with hamburger until cream cheese has given the mixture a whitish look. Add milk and mushroom soup to beef mixture, season with garlic pepper and minced onion. Add sour cream to noodles and mix. Toss hamburger mixture with pasta until combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment