Friday, January 16, 2009

Beer bread & roast chicken

Wednesday night I made a roast chicken (partially to have leftovers for soup) and a nice wheat beer bread with some instant potatoes and frozen corn. I'm not wonder woman and my husband was out of town ;) so sue me for taking short cuts.

I don't mess with a good thing, and this wheat beer bread on allrecipes is a good thing. Only thing I do is spread a little butter on top so it gives it that nice flavor. Other than that I make it as is :) and Kathleen and I love to snack on it.

For the chicken I consulted a variety of recipes and came up with my own. Did the standard bake @ 350 for 20 minutes a pound (or until 180 degrees). It was pretty good but not the most amazing bird ever. I always forget roast chicken is so much more greasy than turkey. Should know that after I worked at Boston Market in high school and had to pick chicken all the time.

Here was my spice blend and ingredients, I couldn't tell you the measurements if I tried, maybe 1/4-1/2 tsp depending on how I like the spice. I just dumped it in a bowl till it looked right.

combined
1/4 cup butter, melted
thyme
crushed rosemary
sage
poultry seasoning
chives
minced onion flakes
garlic powder
salt
pepper

After I rinsed/patted the chicken I brushed it with that mix, and put some in the cavity. Then I hit it with some spray butter to make sure I got all the skin covered so it would brown. I also added a can of chicken broth to the pan so that I would have basting liquid and the chicken drippings/butter wouldn't bake on quite so badly. Basted it every 30 minutes or so and it turned out well. Next time I will use a rack so the skin on the bottom isn't so soggy and maybe use fresh garlic (and more of it). I didn't want the chicken to be too flavored as I want to use it for soup :)

No comments:

Post a Comment