Monday, January 12, 2009

Bordelaise Sauce

This one I found on allrecipes, I have made it many many times and love it.

Here is the original Bordelaise Sauce with Mushrooms recipe.

When I am in a pinch and do not have mushrooms (which is pretty much every time because my husband hates them), this is the recipe I came up with based on what was on hand ;) I also don't use fresh shallots or thyme, I have dried. This is the cream of mushroom soup version I guess ;)

Bordelaise Sauce without mushrooms

INGREDIENTS
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp dried shallots
1 tbsp minced garlic (garlic is always mandatory)
4 tbsp butter
1 can campbells cream of mushroom soup
2 cups beef broth
2/3 cup red wine (I used a tasty shiraz)
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
(he had no bay leaf so that was left out)
dash of dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons cornstarch
4 tablespoons cold water

DIRECTIONS
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, and cook until the garlic is fragrant. Add the shallots and stir until starting to soften. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter, then stir in the cream of mushroom soup until encorporated. Pour in the beef broth, wine, and Worcestershire sauce; season with the thyme, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Once simmering, season to taste with salt and pepper, reduce the heat to medium-low, and continue to cook, uncovered until the sauce reduces slightly, about 30 minutes. Dissolve the cornstarch in the cold water, and stir into the simmering sauce until thickened.

I boiled some ziti pasta, put the 2 strip steaks sliced up on top and covered with sauce and tossed. Mmmmm. For an experiment it was hella good. Sort of like beef stroganof without the sour cream in the sauce. Tonight I bought some steaks stuffed with wild rice so I plan to bake those with just salt/pepper on them and then top with this sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment