Monday, January 12, 2009

Mexican Lasagna

This was dinner last night, I am calling it Mexican Lasagna. I originally found something similar on the weightwatchers online boards back in 2005 the first time i was on it, I think they called it easy enchilada casserole. I haven't run it thru the points calculator with the changes I've made.

The original recipe called for it to be made in a 7x11 pan, I used the 2.5 quart oval corningware I have and it was just the right size.

Mexican Lasagna

soft tortilla shells (I used the mission large ones so only needed 4, will need more for smaller shells)
1 lb lean ground beef
1 can reduced fat cream of chicken soup
1 can (15oz) Hunt's fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 small cooking onion diced (or can use 1 - 2 Tbsp dehydrated onion)
1 heaping Tbsp minced garlic
10 pickled jalapeno slices, diced (I buy the old el paso ones)
2 Tbsp Chili powder (or less if you don't spice)
1 Tbsp cumin powder
cilantro to taste (some people don't like it, I love it. can substitute parsley if you're not a fan or omit all together)
Pam
8 oz velveeta light, cubed
1 can fat free refried beans (I added this, I love refried beans).
1/3 cup sargento mexican blend shredded cheese

brown the meat in a large skillet, drain, wipe pan clean then return meat to the pan. Add tomatoes, jalapenos, spices, garlic, onion, and soup. Stir until combined, I let it simmer a few minutes while I prepped the casserole dish.

Pam the casserole dish well. Tear up tortillas and layer on bottom of casserole in large pieces covering the bottom. I double layered it (2 tortillas thick). Spread entire can of refried beans on top of tortillas. Top with 1/2 of the meat/tomato mixture. Sprinkle 1/2 of the cubed velveeta over top. Place another layer (2 tortillas thick) of the torn tortillas. Add the remaining meat mixture, the remaining velveeta, sprinkle mexican blend cheese over top.

Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment